Areas of Interest to BRNS
Researchers across India are invited to submit collaborative Research projects on the topics listed under the following three categories:
To formulate research project based on any of the areas listed, interested investigators (PI) must interact with the Principal Coordinator (PC) from DAE. Full project proposal may please be prepared as per the guidelines given in the Project Proposal Application (PPA) and submit online at brns.res.in.
(a) CONCEPT PROPOSALS
The topics under this category are continually populated under the following broad headings:
- 1. Basic & Applied Physics/ Material Science
- 2. Accelerator based Physics & Material Science Research
- 3. Proposals related to Radiation and Food Technology
- 4. Life Sciences
- 5. Application of Isotope Techniques in Water and Environment
- 6. Projects based on Synchrotron Beam-lines at RRCAT, Indore
- 7. Proposals based on Lasers, Photonics and Optical Spectroscopy
- 8. Engineering Sciences
- 8.1 Control, Instrumentation & System Design
- 8.2 Metallurgical Sciences
- 8.3 Reactor & Repository Design
- 8.4 Chemical & Process Engineering
- 8.5 Geology & Exploration
- 8.6 8.6 Radiation & Environment
- 9. CHEMICAL SCIENCES
(b) INDUS SRYNCHOTRON RADIATION FACILITY AT RRCAT, INDORE
Both Indus-1 and Indus-2 are national facilities accessible to all researchers from national laboratories, academic institutions and Industries in India.
- Indus-1 is the first Indian synchrotron radiation source with a 450 MeV electron storage ring, which provides a broad electromagnetic spectrum in the wavelength range of 10Å to 1000Å.
- Indus-2 is a synchrotron radiation source of nominal electron energy of 2.5 GeV and a critical wavelength of about 1.98 angstroms. For more details refer to the following link
(c) BRNS FUNDED MEGA PROJECTS/FACILITIES
- 1. National Facility for Texture and Orientation Imaging Microscopy (OIM) established at IIT-Bombay with partial financial support from BRNS has X-ray Texture/Stress, SEM (thermionic)-OIM, Dual Beam Feg SEM-OIM systems open to all the users.
Nodal Person: Prof. I. Samajdar, email: samajdar[at]iitb[dot]ac[dot]in; indra[at]met[dot]iitb[dot]ac[dot]in; http://www.met.iitb.ac.in/~texture/index.html
- 2. National Facility for Analytical Electron Microscopy (NFAEM) at IISc. Bangalore has material characterization by TEM, Focused Ion BEAM, E-Beam Lithography, ESEM etc. The Centre also has excellent capabilities for in situ high temperature microscopy with a MEMS based holder for rapid heating where temperature accuracy is within one degree centigrade. This is in addition to more conventional high precision double stage heating holder and cryo-holder that the center possesses. The center has also obtained a 3D tomography holder and currently efforts are being made to make it available on a routine basis.
Nodal Person:Prof. K. Chattopadhyay; email: kamanio[at]materials[dot]iisc[dot]ernet[dot]in
- 3. Development of microwave substrates for solid state amplifiers Centre for Materials for Electronics Technology (C-MET), Thrissur Ultra-low loss microwave substrates fabricated for high end microwave circuit applications such as high power solid state amplifiers, patch antennas, missile guidance, mobile base stations etc.
Nodal Person:Dr. R. Ratheesh email: ratheeshr[at]yahoo[dot]com
- 4. Center for Non Destructive Evaluation (NDE) at IIT Madras:Some of the techniques developed are: Ultrasonic Guided Wave techniques for the inspection of complex Welding joints, phased array system for hexscan weld inspection; ultrasonic C-scan system etc.
Nodal Person:Dr. K. Balasubramanian, email: balas[at]iitm[dot]ac[dot]in
- 5. Radio Ecology Centers (REC) at Guru Jambheshwar Universityof Science & Technology (GJUST), Hisar. The centre is equipped with all state-of-the-art instruments for chemical & radiochemical analysis of environmental samples.
Nodal Person:Dr. V.K. Garg; email: vinodkgarg[at]yahoo[dot]com
- 6. Marine / Aquatic Radioecology at Centre for Fisheries Education (CIFE), MumbaiThe Centre is equipped with state-of-the-art instruments, namely, HPGe, Liquid Scintillation Counter, Ion Chromatograph and Voltametry, Atomic Absorption Spectrophotometer, Low beta gas flow counting system, Laser Fluorimeter, UV Visible Spectrophotometer, Well-type NaI (Tl) Detector based gamma spectrometry system.
Nodal Person:Dr. S.K. Chakraborty; email: skchakraborty[at]cife[dot]edu[dot]in
- 7. Programme in Autonomous Robotics at IIT-DelhiLab.-based test set-ups and improvised firmware of one exo-skeleton manipulator developed.
Nodal Person:Prof. SantanuChaudhury; email: santanuc[at]ee[dot]iitd[dot]ernet[dot]in
- 8. Facility to fabricate Nd-doped meta Phosphate laser glass at CGCRI, Kolkata.Glass slabs up of 240×130×75 mm3 and 240×130×100 mm3 can be prepared routinely.
Nodal Person:Director CGCRI director[at]cgcri[dot]res[dot]in
- 9. Laser Facility for Medical and Technological Applications at Anna University, Chennai
Nodal Person:Dr. S Ganesan ,sganesan[at]annauniv[dot]edu
- 10. Facility for fabrication of small size Nd, Yb and Er: Laser Glass Rods at S. V. University, Tirupati
Nodal Person:Prof. C K Jayasankar; ckjaya[at]yahoo[dot]com
- 11. Left Handed Maxwell Systems (LHM) at SAMEER, Kolkata Circuital meta-material as a selective band pass filter (BPF) for different required frequency bands have been prepared.
Nodal Person:Mr. ArijitMajumder, arijit[dot]majumder[at]gmail[dot]com
- 12. Advanced welding research facility for study and characterization of weldability of difficult-to-weld materials at IIT Kharagpur An electron beam welding (80kV, 12 kW) facility can be used to study EB assisted surface engineering and develop an in depth understanding of EB welding process for similar, dis similar materials.
Nodal Person:Dr.Gour Gopal Roy, ggroy[at]metal[dot]iitkgp[dot]ernet[dot]in
- 13. Advanced Seismic Testing Laboratory (ASTAR) at Structural Engineering Research Centre (SERC), Chennai Seismic analysis & vibration monitoring of components, sub-assemblies & civil structures using the large-capacity shake table can be carried out at this centre.
Nodal Person:Dr. N. Gopalakrishnan; email: ng[at]serc[dot]res[dot]in
- 14. Isotope Hydrology Laboratory at Himalayan Environmental Studies & Conservation Organization (HESCO) at Dehradun. The laboratory is equipped with isotope ratio mass spectrometer, Perkin Elmer 1220 Quantulus Liquid Scintillation Counter, LGR Liquid-Water Isotope Analyzer, Dionex Ion Chrmatogrphy system etc to cater R&D on isotope hydrological investigations namely on topics like Identification of source and origin of groundwater recharge, iidentification of recharge area of springs particularly in mountainous region, Surface water-groundwater and aquifer- aquifer interconnections, Estimation of residence time of groundwater etc.
Nodal Person:Dr. A. Joshi, dranilpjoshi[at]gmail[dot]com
- 15. National Centre for Free Radical Research (NCFRR) at University of Pune. It is a 7 MeV linear electron accelerator (LINAC) dedicated to carry out radiation chemical studies by pulse radiolysis technique.
Nodal Person:Prof. AvinashKumbhar, askum[at]chem[dot]unipune[dot]ac[dot]in
- 16. Microtron facility at Mangalore University An Electron Accelerator (eight MeV, 50mA) operating in pulsed mode facilitates researches in the field of radiation dosimetry, irradiation effects on semiconductor materials, in the field of life sciences and basic sciences using high energy electrons and bremsstrahlung photons.
Nodal Person:Dr S Ganesh, ganeshsanjeev[at]rediffmail[dot]com
- 17. Centre for Application of Radioisotopes and radiation technology (CARRT) University Science Instrumentation, Mangalore University The Centre is equipped with High and low dose Gamma Irradiators (GC-5000 and LDI-2000), Radioisotope Labeling Lab, Radioimmunoassay &Immuno radiometric Assay Lab (RIA/IRMA), Hybridoma Lab, Radioiodination Lab, Instrumentation/Counting Lab (Radio TLC Scanner, TLD Reader, Liquid Scintillation System, RIA Counting System, Temperature Controlled UV-Vis Spectrophotometer. Researchers doing R&D on topics like radioisotopes labeling applications in agriculture and medicine along with of post-graduate students doing projects can be utilize this facility.
Nodal Person:Prof. SomashekarappaHiriyurMallaiah, carrtmu[at]gmail[dot]com
- 18. Software Development: General purpose CFD solver over a hybrid unstructured grid ANUPRAVAH
Nodal Person:Prof. K. Muralidhar, IIT Kanpur, email: kmurli[at]iitk[dot]ac[dot]in
Nodal Person:Prof. VinayakEswaran, IIT Hyderabad: emaileswar[at]iith[dot]ac[dot]in
Nodal Person:Dr. AmareshDalal, IIT, Guwahatiemail: amaresh[at]iitg[dot]ernet[dot]in
- 19. Centre for Formal Design and Verification of Software-CFDVS, atIIT, Bombay Under this programme, customized algorithms are being generated for rigorous verification of software routines, applicable for safety-critical systems.
Nodal Person:Dr. S. Chakraborty, email: supratik[at]cse[dot]iitb[dot]ac[dot]in
- 20. Nuclear Data Physics Centre of India (NDPCI) is a virtual center setup in the year 2010 to create technical awareness among the extended scientific community of DAE about the importance of Reactor Physics modeling & calculations for the optimum operation of the nuclear reactors.
Nodal Person:Dr. AlokSaxena ; email: aloks[at]barc[dot]gov[dot]in
- 21. Centre for Advanced Research in Environmental Radioactivity" (CARER),Mangalore University has state of art facilities for radio-ecological studies.
Nodal Person:Dr. N. Karunakara email: drkarunakara[at]gmail[dot]com
- 22. National Aerosol Facility upcoming at IIT-Kanpur for carrying out research & development in nuclear aerosol, especially in primary heat transport (PHT) system of nuclear reactor (PHWR).
Nodal Person:Dr. S.N. Tripathi email: snt[at]iitk[dot]ac[dot]in
- 23. Development on Aerogel Supercapacitor and design of back-up power-packs is upcoming at C-MET, Thrissur
Nodal Person:Dr. N.C. Pramanik email: pramanik[at]cmet[dot]gov[dot]in
- 24. Development of computer code to predict flux distribution on receiver surface of solar power test facility and development of selective coating with Institute of Chemical Technology, Mumbai The research will be mostly focused equally on the development of new material, suitable for coating as well as back-up theoretical analysis to adjudge the distribution of radiative flux on the receiver surface and the spillage loss for the same. Stability of the coating under high temperature (~7000 C) and repeated thermal cycle is also a prime focus of this research.
Nodal Person:Dr.A.Rama Rao email: arr[at]barc[dot]gov[dot]in
- 25. Programme on Sensitivity & Uncertainty Analysis in Engineering / Environmental Matrices at IISc., Bangalore, caters for solving various problem-domains in the structural & environmental engineering.
Nodal Person:Prof. C.S. Manohar email: manohar[at]civil[dot]iisc[dot]ernet[dot]in http://civil.iisc.ernet.in/~manohar/
- 26. National Centre for Accelerator based Research (NCAR) at Department of Pure & Applied Physics, Guru GhasidasVishwavidyalaya, Bilaspur Chhattisgarh, for carrying out studies on ion beam-material interaction and environmental applications.
Nodal Person:Prof. P. K. Bajpai, bajpai[dot]pk1[at]gmail[dot]com
- 27. Regional Nuclear Agriculture Research Centre (RNARC) at, Bidhan Chandra KrishiViswavidyalaya, Nadia, WB for carrying outresearch in the field of Agriculture, Biotechnology and food preservation by utilizing RNARC lab having major instruments like Gamma Chamber, GC-MS, HPLC, Gel Doc including 2D Scanner, Plant Growth Chamber, RT-PCR, Liquid scintillation detector etc.
Nodal Person:Vice-Chancellor, ddrnarc[dot]bckv[at]gmail[dot]com
- 28. Accelerator Mass Spectrometry facility with special emphasis on Carbon dating upcoming at University of Mumbai (upcoming) for analysis of archaeological objects. Radiocarbon dating using AMS is distinguished from conventional decay counting method in that the amount of 14C in the sample of interest is directly measured, without the need for individual radioactive decay events to occur and the resultant statistical uncertainties.
Nodal Person:Prof D C Kothari kothari[at]physics[dot]mu[dot]ac[dot]in
- 29. Development of a Photo Injector based Election Gun to produce Electron Beam of 5 MeV suitable for a Free Electron Laser (FEL) Up coming at Inter University Acceleration Centre, New Delhi(upcoming)
Development of photocathode based electron gun for generation of high quality electron beam for its injection in to an undulator to produce intense radiation of Tera hertz. This development would open up frontier of exciting science experiments in the fields of Material, Chemical and biological sciences with a facility available within India.
Nodal Person:Director, IUAC dk[at]iuac[dot]res[dot]in